STEWARDSHIP OF CHURCH MONEY, CHURCH FINANCE
Part of LifeandLeadership.com resources for church leaders with emphasis on Church Administration. See also the companion guide on Church Giving, Tithing, and Financial Stewardship. This resource guide is part of the site archive, which is not updated.
- THEOLOGICAL Primers on Church Money, Church Finance, and Stewardship
- PRACTICAL Primers on Church Church Money, Church Finance, and Stewardship
- Administrative Guides on Church Money, Church Finance
- Related Ministry Resources
**Ministry resources listed in recommended order, unless alphabetical
THEOLOGICAL Primers on Church Money, Church Finance, and Stewardship
- Janet Jamieson and Philip Jamieson, Ministry and Money: A Practical Guide for Pastors— Excellent introduction to a theology of church money and stewardship, and shows how theology should inform the practice of church accounting, financial reporting, budgeting, transparency, minister’s finances, and church giving.
- John L. Golv, Our Stewardship: Managing Our Assets (Congregational Leader Series) — Conveys a strong emphasis on moving from a culture of scarcity to a focus on God’s abundance on topics such as asset management, faith-building, increasing support, managing risks, creating endowments, etc.
PRACTICAL Primers on Church Money, Church Finance, and Stewardship
- James D. Berkley, The Dynamics of Church Finance – Practical and thorough advice on issues of church finance and stewardship, including some that are addressed nowhere else.
- Kennon H. Callahan, Effective Church Finances: Fund-Raising and Budgeting for Church Leaders — Part of Callahan’s Twelve Keys Series. Follows his standard foundation of prayerfully and biblically discerning mission, and then creating a plan to facilitate giving and financial management to meet missional goals. Works well alongside Callahan’s companion volume, Giving and Stewardship in an Effective Church.
- Dan Hotchkiss, Ministry and Money: A Guide for Clergy and Their Families — A comprehensive guide to help ministers manage their own finances and then navigate congregational issues surrounding money.
- Aubrey Malphurs and Steve Stroope, Money Matters in Church: A Practical Guide for Leaders — A thorough survey of church finances, starting with a theology of stewardship and spanning the entire spectrum of issues pertaining to churches. Good advice on helping churches become more generous.
- Richard J. Vargo and Vonna Laue, Essential Guide to Church Finances — A guide to strategize, organize, measure, communicate, protect, and audit the financials of ministry.
Administrative Guides on Church Money, Church Finance and Stewardship (See also Church Administration – General Manuals)
- Otto Crumroy, Stan Kukawka, and Frank Witman, Church Administration and Finance Manual: Resources for Leading the Local Church — Among the general guides on church administration, this is the best on financial management – stewardship campaigns, handling contributions, financial reporting, budgeting, accounting, disbursements, capital planning (wills, endowments, memorials, etc.), cash management, tax reporting, etc. Good templates.
- Murray Dropkin, Jim Halpin, and Bill La Touche, The Budget-Building Book for Nonprofits: A Step-by-Step Guide for Managers and Boards (w/CD), 2nd Edition – Covers every conceivable budget issue, some of which may not be dealt with in standard church budgeting manuals.
- Murray Dropkin and Allyson Hayden, The Cash Flow Management Book for Nonprofits: A Step-by-Step Guide for Managers, Consultants, and Boards — Discusses “cash-flow,” a subject not addressed in most other church administration manuals. Companion to The Budget-Building Book for Non-Profits listed above.
- Bruce Nuffer, The Church Treasurers Manual: A Practical Guide for Managing Church Finances -A comprehensive guide, written with volunteer church treasurers in mind, especially those with little background in accounting and finance.
Related Ministry Resources
Ministry Resources Related to Church Administration:
- Church Administration, General Manuals
- Stewardship of Church Money, Church Finance
- Church Giving, Tithing, and Stewardship
See Resources on Over 100 Areas of Christian Ministry: